Do I need an attorney?
- You have the right to hire an attorney to represent you in any criminal or traffic case. You can search for attorneys on the State Bar of Georgia’s website or by calling (404) 527-8700.
- If you are charged with any offense that you could go to jail for and if you meet certain financial conditions, the court will appoint a lawyer for you. That lawyer is called a public defender.
Do I qualify for a public defender?
- You will have to fill out a form to request a public defender. Make sure to have your ticket or citation handy. The form will ask about how much money you have, how much you earn, and how much you spend on necessities.
- The court might make you pay some amount of money to the public defender, typically $50. If the court requires you to pay this fee, you will be able to pay in installments after your case is over if you are represented by a public defender.
- The fee must be paid whether or not you qualify for a public defender. If you do not qualify, the fee must be paid sooner.
How do I apply for a public defender?
- You can find the application here. You can also contact the office directly at (706) 312-5105.