Utility or storage buildings larger than 120 square feet
* Residential Renovations: A permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration or repairs, other than ordinary repairs in which the cost of the project materials is less than $500.00. Ordinary repairs are nonstructural repairs and do not include addition to, alteration of, or replacement or relocation of water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, water heater replacement, vent or similar piping, electrical wiring, or mechanical, or other work for which a permit is required by the building official.
* Commercial Renovations: For commercial renovation projects: any contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system must obtain a permit.
* An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced with 6 months after the date of filing for the permit.
* Temporary Structures: A special building permit for a limited time shall be obtained before the erection of temporary structures such as construction sheds, seats, canopies, tents and fences used in construction work or for temporary purposes such as reviewing stands. Tents and membrane structures having an area in excess of 200 sq ft and canopies in excess of 400 sq ft shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining a permit and approval from the Fire Marshall’s office. The contact number is (706) 821-2513.
* Free-Standing, Building Mounted, Directional or Off-Premise Signs require a permit. The Off-Premise signs require approval of the Zoning Administrator (Planning Commission-525 Telfair Street) and Building Official. All signs must comply with the International Building Code and the National Electrical Code. Inspection of signs is required. If sign is illuminated, an electrical permit is required.
2.Electrical. Plumbing, Gas and Mechanical Permits:
A permit is required for all Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Mechanical projects. All new installation and repair work requires a permit. Minor repairs can be made to these systems without a permit - as determined by the Building Official. All permits must be obtained prior to commencement of work to avoid penalties.