When Do I Need A Permit?
1. A Building Permit is required for the following:

  • New construction: commercial and residential
  • Renovations
  • Additions
  • Tree , Water or Fire Damaged properties (commercial or residential)
  • Re-roofing, window replacements, vinyl siding, soffit & fascia
  • Signs
  • Swimming Pools
  • Utility or storage buildings larger than 120 square feet

    * Residential Renovations: A permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration or repairs, other than ordinary repairs in which the cost of the project materials is less than $500.00. Ordinary repairs are nonstructural repairs and do not include addition to, alteration of, or replacement or relocation of water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, water heater replacement, vent or similar piping, electrical wiring, or mechanical, or other work for which a permit is required by the building official.

    * Commercial Renovations: For commercial renovation projects: any contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system must obtain a permit.

    * An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced with 6 months after the date of filing for the permit.

    * Temporary Structures: A special building permit for a limited time shall be obtained before the erection of temporary structures such as construction sheds, seats, canopies, tents and fences used in construction work or for temporary purposes such as reviewing stands. Tents and membrane structures having an area in excess of 200 sq ft and canopies in excess of 400 sq ft shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining a permit and approval from the Fire Marshall’s office. The contact number is (706) 821-2513.

    * Free-Standing, Building Mounted, Directional or Off-Premise Signs require a permit. The Off-Premise signs require approval of the Zoning Administrator (Planning Commission-525 Telfair Street) and Building Official. All signs must comply with the International Building Code and the National Electrical Code. Inspection of signs is required. If sign is illuminated, an electrical permit is required.

    2.Electrical. Plumbing, Gas and Mechanical Permits:

    A permit is required for all Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Mechanical projects. All new installation and repair work requires a permit. Minor repairs can be made to these systems without a permit - as determined by the Building Official. All permits must be obtained prior to commencement of work to avoid penalties.

  • Show All Answers

    1. I need an Emergency After-Hours Inspection.
    2. When Do I Need A Permit?
    3. What work is exempt from permit?
    4. What Codes Have Been Adopted that Govern Construction, Repairs, And Renovations?
    5. How do I request an inspection online?
    6. How do I check the status of an inspection?
    7. What Determines The Cost Of My Permit?
    8. What are the top reasons for a failed inspection?
    9. What Are The Requirements For New Commercial Construction Permits?
    10. What Are The Requirement For New Residential Construction?
    11. How Long Is My Permit Good For?
    12. If I Hire A Contractor, Who Buys The Permit?
    13. What Type Of Inspections Can Be Faxed?
    14. What Type Of Permits Requests Can Be Faxed?
    15. What Are The Historic Districts Recognized By Augusta Richmond County?
    16. If the job site is within the Historic District, what are the requirements?
    17. What Are The Requirements For The Issuance Of A Certificate Of Occupancy/Letters of Completion?
    18. Who can obtain a permit?
    19. What are the requirements for a homeowner’s permit?
    20. Can I Work On My Rental Property?
    21. What Type Of Remodeling Job Should Not Be Done By A Homeowner?
    22. How do I obtain a license to run a business from my home?
    23. Can I use a modular building for a commercial occupancy?
    24. Can I move a manufactured home into Augusta Richmond County?
    25. Are Used Modular Buildings allowed for Commercial Use?
    26. Do I need a permit to repair foundation settlement?
    27. Are Special Inspections required?
    28. Is a permit required to construct a shed on my residential property?
    29. Is a permit required for solar panels?
    30. Is a drip edge required when installing a new roof, or re-roofing a building?