The Fire Prevention Bureau enforces applicable provisions of the , Life Safety Code, International Fire Code, International Building Code, and the city of Augusta Code of Ordinance for the public.
The Bureau conducts annual fire inspections on commercial buildings to assure the building meet all requirements of national, state, and local codes.
The Bureau also reviews all new and existing building plans for construction services. All plans are examined to assure that they meet all requirements of national, state, and local code.
Once the plans are reviewed, the construction site is inspected, and the fire system is tested and approved, a certificate of occupancy is issued.
The Fire Investigator handles all investigations of suspicious and arson fires within the City of Augusta and responds to incidents involving:
- Fire believed to be intentionally set
- Fires involving juveniles
- Fires involving fatality
- Fires involving high-dollar loss
- Hazardous Condition of an occupancy representing an immediate threat to life / safety (i.e. assembly overcrowding, blocked exits, building collapse, compromised fire protection, detection systems, etc)
- Other related hazards and / or fires requested by the on-scene incident commander
Fire Safety Education
The Fire Safety Education provides safety information and education programs in a variety of areas including: exit drills, smoke detectors, fire facts, a fire safety house, and much more.