OverviewThe Tree Commission consists of 10 members appointed by the Augusta Commission plus an additional two members appointed by the Richmond County Legislative Delegation. All appointments are for four-year terms and vacancies are filled for the unexpired terms. All terms expire on March 30 of the applicable year, and new terms begin on April 1 of the applicable year.
RequirementsAll members shall be residents of Augusta, Georgia and serve without compensation, although they may be reimbursed for authorized expenses. The Georgia Forestry Commission Urban Forester may serve as an ex-officio member.
Members are generally from, but not limited to, the following fields of association:
- Registered landscape architect
- Realtor / developer of commercial property (licensed broker who is member of the Board of Realtors)
- Urban forester
- Agricultural extension agent
- Appointee from the Garden Council of Augusta
- Master gardener
- Citizens at large who have knowledge of and interest in trees and the urban forest
Current MembersCurrent (as of October 2021) members of the Augusta Tree Commission include:
|Roy Simkins, Chairman||4|
|Jarrel A. Gibson||5|
|Rev. Ronald Freeman||Legislative|
|Lea M Clark||Ex-Officio|