ARTS 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan
Augusta Regional Transportation Plan 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan
Future Mobility 2050
The Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) is the official multimodal transportation plan developed and adopted through the metropolitan transportation planning process for the Augusta Regional Transportation Study (ARTS) planning area. This area covers Richmond and Columbia Counties in Georgia; and, Aiken and Edgefield Counties in South Carolina. The MTP recommends projects to improve, maintain, and operate roadways and bridges, public transit, multi-use trails, and sidewalks.
Updated every 5 years, the MTP envisions and evaluates what the ARTS planning area would look like in the next 10, 20, or 30 years. The MTP recommends transportation projects to improve, maintain, and operate roadways and bridges, public transit, aviation, freight, multi-use trails, and sidewalks. To be eligible for federal funding, projects must be in the MTP first then in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The current MTP Future Mobility 2050 was adopted by the ARTS Policy Committee in September 2020.
The region is estimated to receive over $3.1 billion in federal, state and local funds for transportation infrastructure over the next 30 years. The recommended transportation improvements include highways/roads, traffic safety and maintenance, traffic signal operations, bridge, freight and railroad, public transit, aviation, emerging technologies in transportation, pedestrian and bike paths. A key outcome of this plan update is identifying or confirming local community visions and priorities, reflecting input from all transportation users through a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive public engagement process where a total of 1,987 persons participated in the transportation planning process.
Future Mobility 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan Documents – Adopted September 3, 2020
The Future Mobility 2050 MTP is organized as follows (also includes links to the Technical Reports):
• Chapter 1 Introduction and Overview describes key land use and demographics for both existing and future conditions. These are important foundations to the 2050 MTP (from Technical Report #2).
• Chapter 2 Public Involvement summarizes the public involvement process and outcomes from the two (2) rounds of public engagement plus the final public review period of draft MTP document before the adoption 2050 MTP (from Technical Report #1).
• Chapter 3 2050 MTP Goals, Objectives, and Performance Measures defines Goals, Objectives, and Measures of Effectiveness (GOMs) based on the 2040 LRTP, latest federal requirements and statewide guidelines, and public and stakeholder input (from Technical Report #3).
• Chapter 4 Regional Transportation Network identifies current and future multimodal transportation needs of the ARTS planning area based on regional travel patterns, system inventory, multifaceted analyses, and public input (from Technical Report #2 and Technical Report #5).
• Chapter 5 Project Development, Evaluation, and Ranking summarizes how a list of the Universe of Projects (unconstrained “wish list” projects) was developed based on the identified needs (from Technical Report #5), the project prioritization process (from Technical Report #4), and the evaluation of the Universe of Projects list.
• Chapter 6 Financial Plan and Project Recommendations summarizes funding forecasts and identifies a list of financially constrained projects prioritized for short-, mid-, and long-terms throughout the horizon of the MTP 2050 (from Technical Report #6).
For more information on the 2050 Future Mobility MTP process and other supporting materials visit https://www.futuremobility2050.com/