Yard Waste Collection
Curbside Yard Waste Collection - See flyer here
Residential, Unoccupied Locations, and Vacant Lot customers are provided weekly yard waste collection services. Non-Residential customers can opt in or out of yard waste/bulk waste collection services. Fees for compliant Yard Waste collection services are included in the annual solid waste collection fees.
What items are acceptable as Yard Waste?
Yard waste includes plant material such as leaves, pine straw, grass clippings, branches, brush, flowers, roots, wood waste, and other material commonly thrown away in the course of maintaining yards and gardens. This includes sod and other biodegradable matter.
What items are not acceptable as Yard Waste?
Yard Waste does not include soil, any garbage, food, plastic, synthetic fibers, lumber, human or animal waste, hazardous substances, and other ineligible materials.
Live Christmas Trees - See flyer here
After Christmas and during the first two weeks in January, Augusta Environmental Services will offer live, non- flocked Christmas tree recycling as part of its yard waste program. Please remove all decorations, ornaments, lights, tree stand and place the tree out at the curb as yard waste on your collection day for pickup. (Artificial and Flocked Christmas Trees will be collected as Bulk Waste.)
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Total size of all yard waste placed at curb for removal is 10 cubic yards per week
- Maximum length for any yard waste item is 5 feet
- Do not use plastic bags; Do use paper Kraft bags or 32 gallon containers
- No heavy items; must be able to be handled by human power
- Do not mix yard waste with garbage, bulk waste, or tires
How to place Yard Waste for removal
- Place yard waste at the curb at 6:00 a.m. on your day of service
- Place yard waste away from carts, mailbox, parked cars, poles, or low hanging limbs
- Loose materials such as grass, pine straw, or small sticks must be contained
- Loose material containers can be paper Kraft bags or 32 gallon containers
- Containers should open at the top and clearly marked “YARD WASTE”
- Bundles may be tied with string or twine into manageable bundles with cut ends facing the road
- Stack yard waste along the curb in a single row or pile, no longer than 10 feet
- Do not block the sidewalk or have items extend into the street
Compliant Yard Waste
In order for the yard waste to be considered compliant:
- It must be acceptable as yard waste; and
- The above yard waste guidelines have been followed; and
- The yard waste has been properly placed for removal.
Compliant yard waste will be removed by your weekly yard waste hauler. There are no additional removal charges for compliant yard waste.
Out-of-Compliance Yard Waste
The yard waste is considered out-of-compliance when:
- It is not acceptable as yard waste; or
- The above yard waste guidelines have not been followed; and/or
- The yard waste has not been properly placed for removal.
Out-of-compliance yard waste will not be removed by your weekly yard waste hauler. Augusta will collect and there are additional removal charges for out-of-compliance yard waste.