Children in Need of Services (CHINS)


What is CHINS?

A “Child in Need of Services” under Georgia law means a child who is in need of care, guidance, counselling, structure, supervision, treatment, or rehabilitation AND meets one of the following criteria:

  • Habitually truant from school
  • Habitually disobedient of the reasonable commands of his or her parent/guardian/legal parent/guardian/legal parent/guardian/legal custodi
  • Runaway
  • Committed an offense applicable only to a child
  • Wanders or loiters about the streets, highway, or any public place, between the hours  of 12:00 A.M and 5:00 A.M. Disobeys the terms of supervision contained in a court order which has been directed to such child, who has been adjudicated a CHINS
  • Patronized any bar where alcoholic beverages are being sold, unaccompanied by his or her parent parent/guardian/legal custodian, or who possesses alcoholic beverages
  • Committed a delinquent act and is in need of supervision but not in need of treatment o rehabilitation

Who can file a CHINS Complaint?

A complaint is an initial pleading describing the circumstances believed to require the court’s intervention It can be filed by the child’s parent, guardian, or legal custodian, or by a DFCS employee, a school official, a law enforcement officer, or an attorney.


What services are provided?

  • Gathering information to assess the family's needs and crisis counseling
  • Making referrals to public and private providers for such services as counseling, substance abuse assessments, and parent training, afterschool tutoring and summer enrichment programs
  • Staffing with the Richmond County Juvenile Court CHINS Coordinator 
  • Making recommendations and reporting progress to the court


How do I contact the CHINS Office?

All complaints can be filed at the CHINS offices located at

Tubman Learning Center-3rd floor-1740 Walton Way-Augusta, Georgia 30904 and Richmond County Municipal Building-Suite 610- 535 Telfair Street-Augusta, Georgia 30901


CHINS Coordinator-Dr. Audrey R. Amistad

[email protected] 706-796-4965 Ext. 5204