Verterans Riduciary Appointment by Veterans Affairs and/or the Court

The Petitioner has been appointed by the Veterans Affairs and/or the Court as Conservator of all of the Wards’ property, real and personal. The Conservator (guardian of the property) has the duty to exercise ordinary diligence in dealing with the Ward’s property and may be held liable for any loss resulting from a lack of such diligence.

Requirements of Filing:

A) An Inventory Asset Management Plan is due within the first 60 days after your appointment. This is a budget on how much money the ward has, how much income is coming in, and how much debt there is (house loans, cars loans, credit card debt etc.). The Court will need a budget as to what you need monthly to support the ward. If there is an increase in the cost of care for the Ward, a new Inventory Asset Management Plan may be resubmitted. The Initial Filing Fee must be paid upon filing. There may be additional charges.

B) Personal Status Reports has to be file to the Court within the first sixty (60) days from the appointment date. This report tells the Court how the Ward is doing medically and emotionally, and if the Conservatorship should continue. This report is due yearly on the anniversary date of your appointment. There is no charge for this report.

C) An Inventory is required within the first sixty (60) days. You must also file an Inventory every year thereafter and it is due on the on anniversary date of appointment. This is a list of the Wards assets such as (house, jewelry, furnishings, cars, boats etc.) and how much the assets are worth. Some Conservators use an appraiser to determine the value of the Estate. This is a one page report and there is no charge.

D) Annual Returns are due 60 days of the anniversary date of your appointment. You must file an Annual Return very year thereafter during the duration of the Conservatorship. The Initial Filing Fees must be paid upon filing the Return. These reports require complete and accurate itemized records of all monies coming in and all expenditures on behalf of the Ward. You must save all receipts and proof of expenditures. Veterans Affairs also require the original certificates of deposit with the bank’s seal. The Veterans Conservatorship Annual Returns and certificates of deposits are sent certified mail by the Court. You are responsible to bring the Court an envelope with the correct postage (Check with the Post Office for the right amount of postage by allowing them to weigh your paperwork) so it may be sent to the V.A. The Initial Filing Fees must be paid upon filing the Returns. These reports must be filed when due or you may not be entitled to commission. The V.A. Returns can be obtained by calling 1-888-407-0144 or found on-line . The form you need is V.A. Form 21-4703.

Court Process:

The documents above must be filed and any filing fees applicable must be paid upon filing. The clerk audits the Returns and submits a court certified copy of the Return to the Veterans Administration in the envelope you provided, within ten days of receiving the Return. If everything in the documents look complete and accurate, and the VA has approved the Return, they are submitted for approval by the Judge.