Renovations, Structures & Off-Premise Signs

Residential Renovations

A permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration or repairs, other than ordinary repairs in which the cost of the project materials is less than $500. Ordinary repairs are nonstructural repairs and do not include addition to, alteration of, replacement, or relocation of water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electrical wiring, or mechanical or other work for which a permit is required by the building official.

Commercial Renovations

Any contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system must obtain a permit.

Temporary Structures

A special building permit for a limited time shall be obtained before the erection of temporary structures such as construction sheds, seats, canopies, tents, and fences used in construction work or for temporary purposes such as reviewing stands.

Off-Premise Signs

These require approval of the Zoning Administrator (Planning Commission - 525 Telfair Street) and the Building Official. All signs must comply with the Zoning Ordinance, the Standard Building Code, and the National Electrical Code. The inspection of signs is required. If the sign is illuminated, an electrical permit is required.

Contact Information

For more information, please contact the License and Inspection Department between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at:
  • Ph: (706) 312-5050
  • Fx: (706) 312-4277