Laura Harper, daughter of a free black family in pre-Civil War Augusta, was one of the first graduates of Paine College.
Johnson Drive was name after Dr. S. S. Johnson, who was a medical doctor and a bank president.
Judson W. Lyons, born in Burke County in 1860, became the first black to practice law in Augusta.
Solomon W. H. Murray, born in Augusta in 1868, was a minister and a trustee for the Walker Baptist Institute.
Earl Stone Pinkerton was a manager of the Lenox Theater on Ninth Street and was active in several civic organizations.
Janie Scott, born in 1895, was the daughter of Charles M. Scott, who served with distinction in the Spanish-American War with the Tan Yanks. She was in the first graduating class from the Lamar School of Nursing in 1916 and was one of the first black registered nurses in Georgia.
White Boulevard was named for the educator and publisher William Jefferson White. Mr. White was born in 1832 and before the Civil War organized a secret school for blacks. By 1866, he was an ordained minister. He co-founded Augusta Institute, which became Atlanta's Morehouse College.
William Wilborn was both a businessman and a farmer.