Between the years of 1827 and 1828, the Augusta Arsenal was dismantled, moved from its old location along the banks of the Savannah River, and erected on what now is the campus of Augusta State University in the Summerville neighborhood. A fever epidemic that nearly killed everyone on the Arsenal river site was probably the deciding factor for the move.
In 1955, the Augusta Arsenal closed its doors for the last time. On September 9, 1959, the Arsenal Cemetery at the northwest end of the Augusta College Campus on Arsenal Avenue off of Walton Way was transferred to the City of Augusta by the Department of the Army.
This cemetery is not staffed and the gate stays locked. Entrance can be gained to the Arsenal Cemetery by calling (706) 821-1746.
A record of the graves was copied in the field by Augusta-Richmond County Cemetery employees. View a list of the graves recorded.